Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Half-Acre of Paradise

Sometimes life can turn around from glum to fun in a little less than 3.2 seconds.  It is said that "Great doors swing on small hinges."  Indeed, large events or issues occasionally do turn on seemingly small causation.

A few weeks ago, after diligently looking for a place for us to move to as our retirement spot; I finally decided to just let it go for awhile.  I was, to be candid, discouraged with the whole process.  It was not like I had expected to strike gold with the first swing of my pick; but neither had I planned to dig and dig and dig only to continually come up empty.

Nevertheless, after two years of intermittent house-hunting, and walking through more than twenty homes (not counting the dozens I had viewed on line and had done the whole "virtual tour" thing) we were no closer to finding a landing spot than when we began the search.

I say "we" meaning "me" because the LOC* had made it clear that this was to be my quest.  He would support my efforts, carry my spear and chalice when necessary, but I was to be the Donnetta Quixote in this little adventure, and I could tilt at as many potential windmills as suited my fancy.  Just don't drag him around from windmill to windmill; because they all looked pretty much alike to him. (*Lovable Old Coot)

For those readers who do not put much stock in spiritual guidance, you may choose to discount this next part, and that is okay.  But for those readers who have been visiting with me for awhile, you know I am a pretty sensible person, who does not tend toward the ethereal.  In other words, I am a down-to-earth realist with a decidedly pragmatic bent.

But I also believe God listens when we pray, and when it is in our best interest, He can and will move things along when we have hit the wall.

So a few weeks ago, after another disappointing visit to walk through two more houses, I was praying about our relocation desires.  Subsequent events (my son's illness and emergency surgery) have reinforced how necessary it is for us to move closer to this area.  So one evening a few weeks ago I decided to "let go and let God", as they say in the Midwest.

And I felt impressed that God was telling me that if I would just trust his timing, I would not have to go looking any further, but He would "bring something to me."  I was tired, discouraged and too worn out to argue with him anyway, but I actually felt good peace about it.  So I stopped looking. Didn't read the real estate section of the papers.  Didn't log on to Zillow each week for updates.  Nothing.

Last Saturday I got a phone call from a lady I had met exactly once.  She told me about a house that she though might be what I was looking for.  You can guess the rest.

The next day I walked through it, made an offer, and we opened escrow today. :)  :)  :)  Color me happy, grateful, and just about over the moon with anticipation.

We have bought our retirement home, on a half acre of pine and fir trees, in a semi-rural area, but near enough to town and shopping to be convenient.  A half acre may not sound like much to those outside of California, but out here they sell land by the half-inch, so a half acre, at approximately 2500 ft. elevation in the foothills where they have four seasons and that small town feel - paradise.  And it was priced affordably!  Amazing.

                             # # # #

Hope your plans are coming along tonight; but if you are feeling a little stuck in your spot, I am praying Someone greater than you and me will open a door to your own half-acre of paradise, whatever that may be.  Blessings to you - Marsha

11 comments:

  1. So happy for you!!! Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marsha...I think 'Let Go and Let God' is a universal saying. I grew up hearing it in the deep South (oh well ok my Mother was from MI) but it was a tape always playing in my mind. Twenty-five years ago we were young marrieds with four boys to raise in an area that was economically challenged. I went to Church one afternoon in the middle of the week...sat quietly and had a 'heart-to-heart' with the Almighty. I said I was told to let go and let God. And I did. And here we are in NC, raised those four boys and added a girl. We hadn't planned on moving, but after the Lord threw a few bricks at us we got his message. I'm so happy you've been blessed.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I.Am.So.Happy.For.You!!! (and LOC).
    What wonderful, perfect timing.
    It sounds beautiful!!
    And I truly agree that God meant it for you!!
    Acknowledging Him in this excites and
    encourages all of us who share your joy!!
    Woo! Hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great to hear a happy ending to your quest for a retirement home. It sounds in a super location. Now for some photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when a plan comes together. You have to give it to the Big Guy, he always comes through when you need Him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After two family deaths this past summer, our half acre is a half inch eating a fine breakfast at ihop. My wife returns to work tomorrow to work with elementary kids in Special Ed and I will start up my cartoon/art classes next month. Working with kids will expand our half inch and help students find their half acre of paradise. robert-7000ft

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story! And I can vouch for the fact that when you let go of your agenda, God really does come through in His own good time. Good for you for listening. Congrats on the new digs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Let Go and Let God" is a slogan I try to live my life by but it's not always easy. Thank you for the reminder that when we do that God shows us that His ways are always best

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds wonderful! Good things come to those who wait and are patient on the Lord's plans. It will be wonderful for you all there, I'm sure- :)

    ReplyDelete