Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Living generously in grace - In Other Words

“Won’t the awareness God loves us no matter what lead to spiritual laziness and moral laxity? Theoretically, this seems a reasonable fear, but in reality the opposite is true…the more rooted we are in the love of God, the more generously we will live our faith.”
~Brennan Manning, Lion and Lamb~
 I strongly agree with Manning's opinion that "the more rooted we are in the love of God, the more generously we will live our faith."

Children who are read to from an early age, more often become avid readers themselves.  Likewise, children who are loved, well-fed, and carefully disciplined usually develop into healthy, well-balanced adults.  Jesus told his disciples, "except you become as a little child, you will not enter the kingdom."  (Matt. 18:3) 

Thus, as a little child at God's knee, I am glad to be in His presence, happy to do His bidding, and eager to get to know Him better.  An awareness of God's love produces the opposite of spiritual laziness, rather it creates an eagerness to please Him who "knows me best and loves me most" - a concept that continues to boggle my mind.

Perhaps the concern about the assurance of God's love leading to moral laxity has to do with what St. Paul called using "liberty as a license to sin."  Well, I have seen that happen from time to time, but it never made me want to run right out and see how much I could get away with.  Instead, it made me sad that we humans take the wonderful gift of God's steadfastness and turn it into an excuse to let him down. 

But again, when you know someone loves you, whether a spouse or a child or a close friend, how likely are you to want to disappoint them?  Not very.  The same holds true in our walk with God.  When we really "know that we know that we know" that God's love is constant and unconditional, the last thing we want to do is disappoint Him or reflect poorly upon His grace.

And that is really what it all comes down to - grace.  Just grace.  All grace, all the time.  Thank God.  ...  Marsha Y.
                                  & & &
Today's quote is hosted by Patricia at Typing One-Handed.  Please stop by, she shares some good thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. The older I get the more I am mystified by God's grace. I don't understand yet I am humbled and grateful. Thanks for pointing me there again today friend.

    ReplyDelete