Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

Two Ways to Be

In life it is sometimes said that there are two ways to be happy:  one is to have more, the other is to want less.

We often find ourselves trying to choose between two ways to be:

- stay here, or go there

- keep this, or give that

- earn more, or spend less

- accept more, or reject less

- try harder, or relax more

One of the truer things I have heard over the years, is that life is a series of trade-offs. 

We may trade adventure for security; or security for adventure.

We may trade time for money (essentially this is what we do when we work); or we may trade money for time (such as paying someone else to clean our house or mow our lawn) because at that point in our lives our time is more precious to us than money.

We must each make a series of choices each day.  How we choose to spend our time and resources ultimately determines the quality of our lives. 

Are we making wise trade-offs, or simply convenient ones?

Are we making conscious choices, or simply automatic ones?

How are we dealing with the unintended consequences of our own choices?

                                       * * * * * *
I don't know about you, but right now life is hard in my little corner of the world.  Probably no harder than in many of your lives, but I am facing some stern challenges, stretching me to the limits of my resources.  And thus, I am giving serious thought to questions such as those above.

Hope you are making good choices and are satisfied with your life trade-offs this evening.  Until next time ... your grandmotherly sensei...Marsha

Footnote:  If this post was too heavy for you, stay tuned for a discussion of navel lint in the near future.

9 comments:

  1. Oh Marsha, I smiled at your last sentence - can't wait for that one!!!!
    You are so right - I often say "wish I could win the lottery" but does that really mean than my life would be better - probably not it would bring it's own problems.
    I think I have to learn to be satisfied with what I've got. My lovely family, our health, our wee home etc.
    Thanks for this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear things are tough for you at the moment. We found our choices differed once we retired, especially trading time for money or money for time. I no longer have a house cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cyber hugs, Marsha. I'm sorry you're facing so many challenges right now. May your ponderings lead to answers, which bring about some relief and renewal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naval lint, huh? Should be interesting! I keep Philippians 4:11 on my desk, and hopefully trying to live being content in whatever state I am in helps me to make the better choice, even when there may not be a specifically right or wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just now getting to the point in my life where I realize that it's always going to be this way. "Should I or Shouldn't I?" happens more often than not in my little world as well.

    Wishing you peace and contentment regarding the decisions you are facing.

    Now, let's get to that naval lint. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know - I kinda like your "heavy" side. Wait a minute, that didn't quite sound right, but you know what I meant, right?!

    I've made some really bad choices in my life. Praise God, He redeemed them all and gave me a second chance (several times).

    Praying for the wisdom to make the right choices at this point in my life, and for the courage to follow through.

    GOD BLESS!

    (Lint?? Is that a contagious problem?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very thoughtful words full of truth. I'd do well to think about this from time to time too. I always enjoy your posts. Keep 'em comin' Girl. Navel lint? Hmmmmm. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. To All the Above;
    Thanks for the returned smiles. I'll give that navel lint some further thought, :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this. It was genuine and a good mirror. Whatever is pushing against you may our "nevertheless" God cause you, like His other favorite, to take the stronghold of Zion. Blessings. Thanks for thinking outloud in my hearing. Kat

    ReplyDelete