Pages

Friday, November 25, 2011

Fat, Lean, and In-Between

Jack Spratt could eat no fat,
His wife could eat no lean.
And so between the two of them,
They licked the platter clean.
~ Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme


The day after Thanksgiving has many of us thinking about fat, or lean, or something in-between.  I don't know about you, but I had two pieces of pie yesterday; and I didn't need either one of them.  (Boysenberry and Dutch apple, in case you were wondering.  :) 
                                       

Of course, the original purpose of the holiday was to give thanks, but in recent years it seems to be more about food, food, and more food.  We are all seeking that magical, mystical "balance" that everyone seems to expound so sincerely, but few of us seem to practice in reality. 

However, on Thanksgiving and throughout the holidays in general, we apparently abandon the whole concept of balance and just turn into little self-indulgent piglets.  Of course, that could just be me.


Would that life's balances were as simple as the nursery rhyme above.  One fellow did not like fat, his wife didn't like the lean, and it all worked out just dandy between the two of them.

Fiddle!  The LOC* and I have never achieved that particular balance and I don't expect that we will anytime soon.  For example, he likes liver giblets in his turkey dressing:  I hate liver in any form, except for the vague hope that my own will keep functioning as it should.
(*Lovable Old coot)

I like celery in my dressing; but the LOC isn't crazy about it.  And for that matter, I like "dressing" prepared in a separate baking pan; whereas the LOC prefers "stuffing" which is actually put into the bird and baked in that manner.  Me, not so much.  Fortunately, we both like onions in the dressing or that would be a whole other dilemma.

So I don't know where this whole Mr. and Mrs. Spratt legend got started, but I am pretty sure it is apocryphal.  Meanwhile, on to the left overs ...thereafter, we move on to planning the next holiday meal.
                                                * * * * *
Hope you and yours did a fine job on that whole "balance thing" yesterday.  But if you fell a bit short of that lofty goal, take comfort...the rest of us didn't quite achieve it either.  Maybe next time ... Marsha





3 comments:

  1. Apparently we had a good balance of tastes at our Thanksgiving dinner because there were very few leftovers. I'm a little sad about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I an not alone in the "balance thing".....You are so right about the over indulgence with food on holidays....It's like we are never going to get any of the good stuff again so we just keep shoveling it in.....kinda like kids in a candy store......

    Great post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laughing...no we didn't achieve balance so off to the gym we go this week...beside pictures are telling us the truth we didn't want to see and double chins don't lie

    I am glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, but of food and thanks

    ReplyDelete