Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Away in a Manager - Not a Typo (this time...)

The software that allows me to create text documents has an automatic spellchecker, as well as a feature that allows me to go back and check more deliberately.
However, because both "manager" and "manger" are legitimate words, it will not flag either, regardless of whether they are used inappropriately for one another.

Thus, I always had to be especially careful when sending messages to various managers in the corporate environment, to assure that I had not inadvertently sent the memo to the manger.  They are easily confused.  And each time it occurred, and occasionally it did, despite both my vigilance, and that of my even more adroit editorial assistant, I was reminded of a Christmas season many years ago.

My family and I were in a K-Mart aisle shopping for holiday bargains.  Suddenly, a small boy came careening around the corner of the aisle where I was browsing.  He was about four years old and was obviously intent upon finding something specific.

At first I assumed he was looking for a Tickle-Me-Elmo, or whatever the toy-de-jour was that year.  But quickly he shouted out to anyone who might be within range (and given his decibel level that would have been anywhere in nearby towns), "I am looking for the manager and the three wise guys!"

Uh-huh, I spent a good deal of my career looking for that foursome.  But, of course, he meant he was looking for a manger scene depicting the three wise men bringing gifts to the newborn king.

I laughed for days every time I thought about it.  His mother quickly appeared chasing him and I spotted them moments later in the aisle where the nativity sets were displayed.  His little eyes shown as he gazed upon the object of his search.  He had found them and he was satisfied.

As an executive, charged with keeping peace and order in a business environment abuzz with multiple and often conflicting agendas, I sometimes spent days, weeks, or longer searching for the "manager and the three wiseguys" who had created some problem for the rest of the company.  Sometimes I found them, sometimes I did not.  But even when I did locate them and identify what they had done, and why they had created that particular dilemma for the rest of us, seldom was I satisfied with the outcome.

Apologies were offered, sometimes reprimands were issued, and occasionally even more dire consequences ensued.  But whatever the un-wiseguys had done to create an issue, it could not be undone, and we had to proceed as best we could; the issue resolved but leaving lingering frustration.

However, when I located the manger for myself, at twelve years old, as a girl in Southern Illinois, I knew a joy that I could not begin to describe.  And the "wise men" (and women) who came along side me to guide me in my new-found faith also provided community and companionship, which satisfied a deep longing in my heart. 

God meant for us to seek and find Jesus, the reason for the season, and to allow Him to satisfy our souls.  As Pascal said, there is a vacuum shaped hole in every heart which only Jesus can fill.

The world is still running around looking for various things and people to satisfy them or to blame for their lack of satisfaction.  The manager and the three wiseguys.

The believer has located the babe in the manger, been blessed with the fellowship of the saints, and is satisfied. 

Hark, the herald angels sing, glory to the new born king!

Blessings to you and your family during this wonderful Christmas season. ...Marsha

3 comments:

  1. Marsha, you do have a way with words. Loved the manger and manager story. I often think of htat quote by Pascal. How many continue to seek 'things' or 'people' or 'experiences' to fill that hole that can only be satisfied in Christ.

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie -
    So good to hear from you. How is your new job going? Hope you are doing well. ...Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post and stories, about the little boy and your coming to Christ.

    ReplyDelete