Pages

Friday, May 16, 2014

An Unexpected Delight

Flower Garden Design Ideas from the 2012 RHS Chelsea Flower ShowI have had some agapanthus that looked a lot like these.  They are such cheery plants, and truly no trouble at all.

However, just now I have a lonely looking little thing growing waaaaay out by the road and how it got there I have no idea.

It is surrounded by plain, bare, scorched earth.  No grass nearby.  No flora community in the vicinity.  No water in sight.

What in the world caused this spindly little flower to come popping up in that spot?

I definitely did not plant it there.  And it wasn't there last summer.  I am sure because I recall thinking that the only good thing about that barren stretch of dirt just beyond the front driveway was that I did not have to weed it - not even weeds grew on that bare dirt.

But there it is.  Granted, its little stem is not a deep green - looks a bit pallid actually.  And it has very few spiny leaves - only two or three.  But that little agapanthus has a blossom - in a lovely shade of lavender.  I'm amazed.
                                       # # # # #
I've known some people like that - young children even - who had no happy community, no visible means of being tended or even watered very often.  And yet there they were, flourishing in most unexpected ways.  Even in the barren places.

A little boy with grimy hands and a raggedy hair cut who, nevertheless, had a million dollar smile.  A young girl with clothes that had never seen an iron, and a ponytail that was more out than in the rubberband, and yet, there she was; singing a solo with a clear high voice, true and sweet.

Whence come these unexpected inhabitants of our world? 

I cannot say; but I can be grateful to share the earth with them.
                                            # # # # #
Hope you had a chance to spot some beauty in an unexpected place today.  Until next time ~ Marsha

7 comments:

  1. I had to rack my brain to think of something beautiful that I have seen today because it was cleaning day. I don't see any beauty in cleaning toilets and showers but low, when I went onto the deck to hang out the rug I saw my flowering orchid. For years it has just been a sad pot plant with thick hard leaves but it never flowered but this year it has blossomed. Apparently it just wanted a little more sunlight. I hope you have plenty of sunlight today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An orchid! Well, now that is a wonderful thing of beauty. I have never had the courage to try to grow one, but I love seeing them in flower arrangements. Good for you, to have persevered and actually had one blossom. Lots of sunshine to you, too.

      Delete
  2. We have a similar plant that my hubby planted near the house, and now there is one near the road. I love your application and will think of it when I see our little straggler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mari, A happy day to you. Yes, we have all had - or BEEN - little stragglers at some point, haven't we? :) Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  3. They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder so I suppose we all see beauty in different ways. I see beauty in the sun that seldom shines in northeast Ohio :) and in the Spring flowers that push their way through the earth lifting their blooms in praise of the Creator. I see beauty in the smiles of my grandchildren, my students who are struggling and finally "get it", and in the smile of my husband of 35 years. So Thanks, Marsha, for reminding me to look for the beauty in all things, not just the "pretty". Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply lovely, my friend, both your pictures and words. And I did spot beauty today, in talking with my pastor's 90 year old mom. She had such a hard life, but all she talks about is how good God has been to her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely post. Yes, there are these *rays of pure sunshine* that come out of the most unlikely characters, and in the most unlikely places. I am reminded of random cactus plants that I have seen blooming in the desert with the most breathtaking colors and beauty.

    God does not judge by appearances - may we learn to do the same.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete