Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Heaven Help Us - In Other Words

When you have no helpers,
                    see your helpers in God.
When you have many helpers,
                   see God in all your helpers.
When you have nothing but God,
                   see all in God.
When you have everything,
                  see God in everything.
Under all conditions, stay thy heart only on the Lord.
                                ~Charles Spurgeon

My daughter once shared with me something her pastor had used in his sermon one Sunday morning.  It has stuck with me for years. He said,
            You don't know that God is all you need,
              until God is all you have.

Perhaps you have experienced this very thing; I have, and it made me more grateful than I had ever been before.

Just this last week, we truly needed "helpers" as we were moving for the first time in over twenty years.  Several of our family members were unavailable due to jobs, distance, health issues, etc.  But a family moving in across the street from where we were moving out helped us in surprising ways, and we were grateful.  And they helped despite the fact that they had a brand new, two week old, baby.  Can you imagine?  Talk about heaven sent.

For several reasons, we did not feel we could ask anyone to come help us.  However, without being asked, another family member who had only been to our home twice in several years, suddenly called and said he was on his way to help us pack.  It was a ten hour drive one-way; but he came and spent three days helping pack.  It was a direct answer to prayer, as I had been praying about some "moving help" for weeks.

On another front, though, my son is ill, and all the helpers in the world cannot help.  We need God to give us a genuine "heavenly assist" - because even the doctors can only do so much in this situation.  So I am focusing on "seeing God" in every doctor, every nurse, every day, every hour, while also remembering they are limited, but we serve an unlimited God. For nothing is impossible with God. (Luke 1:37 NIV)

During my life, I have been blessed to be "the helper"  from time to time; but in recent months, I have needed some help. For me it is much harder to receive help than to give it.  And it used to almost choke me to have to ask for it.  Yesterday, it was as simple as needing someone to lift a 35 lb. bag of dog food out of the trunk of my car, where the grocery clerk had placed it.  Ten years ago I could have hoisted it out myself.  Not anymore.  One of my son's friends came by and gladly did it for me.

Thus, whether we are helping, or being helped, we are all limited in what we can do for each other.  But God is able to do all things abundantly above that which we can even ask or think.

I will strengthen you and help you...  (Psalm 41:10 NIV)

Where would we be without Him?  Heaven help us, I don't want to find out.  Blessings to you - until next time .... Marsha
                                          * * * * *
The host for this weeks IOWT is Jennifer at Scraps and Snippets.

13 comments:

  1. Marsha...I'm praying for you and your son and all his caretakers. Love and blessings~
    God Is Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true about it being harder to receive help than to give it! I remember a friend years ago saying that God had told her, in a situation where she had no choice but to accept help (after surgery when her leg was broken in five places, when she had fairly young children), that she needed to allow others to be blessed by helping her as she had been blessed by helping others all those years. I've remembered that all these years and had to remind myself of it often when we were in that position.

    Your post blessed me today, Marsha...thank you! Praying for your son, your family, and all those who help you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your God-given wisdom. May the blessings you give be returned to you and your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings, Sweetie. Praying for your entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marsha,

    Thank you for this post - especially this bit "Thus, whether we are helping, or being helped, we are all limited in what we can do for each other. But God is able to do all things abundantly above that which we can even ask or think.

    I will strengthen you and help you... (Psalm 41:10 NIV)
    Amen and thanks be to God

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said. It's so true - it's a humbling experience to admit that we need help. From God, or from other people.

    But there are some blessings that are reserved for us that can only come when we turn away from our own abilities, and cry out for help. Praise God for other people who have given aid (sounds like you've got a great *support army*) - and oh, the awesome knowledge that we have the Everlasting Arms to lean on in life, and for eternity.

    Where would we be without Him? Heaven help us, it wouldn't be heaven...

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful examples of God given assistance. I hope the transition is as smooth as can be.

    All thru Him,
    Cin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for your son and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THank you so much for sharing your heart. I know those times of only having a few helpers in our lives, to keep things "secret" as such, and yet, I know how God filled so much and was indeed our Helper.

    Blessings . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, we all do need help from time to time and yes it is hard to ask for it. You are always so encouraging with your posts and I so appreciate you and your attitude and your dependency on God. I am sitting here with a propped up foot due to a sprain so I can totally identify with you. I am so thankful for my sweet fisherman who has been an excellent nurse. Just as I am sure your son is so thankful for all the help you have been to him. I am praying that you will get all the help you need during your move and that God will send healing to your son....

    Hugs and blessings,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post! We are all the body of Christ, and this is why. We need eachother and God designed it just that way.

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Truer words were never spoken. I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Needing help is humbling, isn't it? And yet, God reveals Himself in those times as well, making me feel so loved.

    Praying you feel loved (and at least a little bit settled.).

    ReplyDelete