Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

In a Spot Without My Verve

The other day I saw a group that named themselves "Verve" - I thought that was either very perky or very impertinent of them; I wasn't sure which.

Because I am a philologist (word lover) it got me to thinking about verve, it's meaning and where mine had gone, or if I ever had any.

Verve:  ancient meaning was "a special talent or ability- more modern meaning - "spirit and enthusiasm animating artistic composition or performance."

There is an old saying, "My git up and go has got up and went."

Uh-hum, so say we one so say we all, at least on a low day at low tide.

Used to be, when I was in a corporate setting, I could still "work circles" as they say, around coworkers half my age.  I suspect I would struggle with an arc, much less a full circle today.

No, I am not depressed.  But my verve, enthusiasm, animation, seems to have gone missing.  I looked in the cupboards, under the bed and in the closet to see where it might be hiding.  No verve.

My elan seems to have taken off about the same time my verve did.  Maybe they ran off together, a romantic little duo off to see the world through the eyes of someone else, someone whose composition is more animated.  Could be.

Here is what I am hoping.  That my verve has not deserted me; but rather it is taking a nap.  You know, just a little creative snooze.  A small restorative siesta.  Could be.

So for today, I'm choosing to think I haven't lost it, but it is napping.  So maybe I will, too.  No use sitting up wide awake, verve-less.

Until next time ... hope your day is full of enthusiasm.  If you happen to spot either my verve or my elan, would you please send them back?  ....Marsha



9 comments:

  1. You write beautifully so it is obvious to me that your "verve" has not left, even though you suspect it has...I feel that way every year during Feb/Mar - it's a seasonal thing with me. I need to see sunshine to feel renewed, so I know exactly how you are feeling. But trust me - you've still got it, Girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marsha, with all you have been dealing with emotionally and physically, I'm not surprised your verve has slammed on the brakes and your elan has taken an elusive turn towards a quiet cove. I'm sure in a few days time both will resurface and leading you in a fine dance!

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I didn't know what philologist meant and now I do. Thanks very much - they do say you learn something new every day!!
    I think most people have days where they feel their 'verve' has deserted them. I hope you get it back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This hit my funny bone just right! Very well said. Here's to returning to at least a partial arc! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Marsha - you have plenty of verve - I think it's just a little tired from all you've been doing lately. Elan also has an annoying way of disappearing from view when in need of a nap. I have a feeling that they're hiding from only you - the rest of us can see them! A little vacay will improve your focus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No worries babe. Once you get some sleep and get back to your routine, your verve is bound to show up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, you are good....I love coming for a visit because I love reading your words....This was a good one today....I must be in the same boat..maybe my verve has hooked up with yours and they are out having fun.....maybe they are waiting for us to rest up so we will have some energy for them to enjoy......

    ReplyDelete
  8. My verve and elan just got a boost from reading your recent posts. Mine were saying that they need a rest from my busyness and always being there for others. What a blessing you are and thanks for sharing your precious thoughts! May the Lord refresh you in wonderful ways you can't even begin to imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. To each and everyone of the above blog friends,
    Thank you so much for your encouraging words. They could not have come at a better time.

    Truly, I amblessed to count you among my friends.
    Blessings to you - Marsha

    ReplyDelete